23 March 2013

It's been a minute

These past few weeks have been nothing short of amazing!

First, I've lost a few pounds.  This has been something that I've been trying to attack since the earlier part of the year.  At first, I didn't know if I would have the energy or even the desire to stay committed to eating healthier and working out consistently.  Nonetheless, I can hear my momma say, "Kenny, the proof is in the pudding."  I might got that all wrong!!

Shedding the weight has not been easy.  But when I say that if you stick to it, it will work.  It does.  It's almost like tricking your mind to be obedient.  Because I sure have wanted to eat one of those $5 boxed taco combo meals from Taco Bell.

Besides trying to become a healthier person, I've also been quite focused on bettering myself spiritually.  

For a brief period, I was struggling with trying to find the right church.  Moving back to Dallas from Oklahoma City, I just wasn't connecting to the church that I had became so used to attending.  The members were nice, the word was amazing, but I wasn't moving to the next level in life.  I wasn't being challenged and my conviction had been thrown out of the window.

In the middle of the night this past December, I was searching for potential churches to visit.  I received a notification that a new start-up church would be having a preview service at the beginning of the year.  So, without too much expectation, I went ahead and visited.  To my surprise, this church was exactly what I had been searching for.  Unfortunately, I had to wait what seemed like forever to have that experience again -- from the worship to the word, because the church would be starting it's regular services the first week of February.

So like a kid going to the mall looking for a pair of new shoes, I was waiting in high anticipation for the beginning of February. Over in South Dallas, off of 35 -- by way of South Tyler Street, I started attending this church called Cosmopolitan Congregation!! And about two weeks ago, I joined.

I joined Cosmo because I felt a spiritual connection. The pastor, from the first sermon that I heard him preach, had an amazing way of forcing me to do better when I walked out of the church doors.  For the month of February, the pastor's first series to the body of believers was on love.  It felt like he was speaking directly to me.  Loving and to be loved is something that I've wrestled with for a minute.  He was able to dig deep on what it means to really love someone and how important it is for that love to be displayed on a daily basis.

Then, the pastor started a series on giving. This, too, is another area of my life that I've had some uneasiness with.  Because after working 40+ hours in a week, it can be quite difficult for me to give of my time to outside organizations through volunteering.  Also, it is a challenge to even put an extra zero or a couple of zeros after a check when giving an offering.  And even tithing :-/.

So yes, it's easy to write that I'm really excited about the direction that the year is going for me.  Sometimes, the pressures and demands of life swells, but I have since started taking time to be alone and gather my thoughts.  In gathering my thoughts, I'm able to visualize and dream.  This is extremely important because I want to be in a position to continue to have an impact on the lives of those around me.

The to-do lists do not get shorter; I have a laundry list of things I need to accomplish before the weekend is over. But I forgot to mention that Justin Timberlake's new joint is hot af.  As far as Bey, I'm still indifferent with "Bow Down." Though, I'm definitely ready for Lil Wayne's new music next week!  Ayyeee!!

Also, President O did a phenom job on his first foreign trip of his second term, to none other than the Middle East. #RestorePeace

Let me close this laptop and continue checking these items off, as I listen to Suit & Tie--



No comments: