15 June 2012

Younger folk

Taking a look at today's youth, I find myself asking: how do I reach and connect with this generation?

Growing up the youngest of two older brothers, my mother sheltered me from some things. When I went off to college, the experimental side of me came out. Although there is no practical step-by-step manual to training or raising children, it makes me wonder and rather nervous about teens and peer pressure.

I have three younger cousins that mean the world to me.  Without appearing to be too involved in their lives or intrusive, when is it appropriate to correct them -- while trying to understand the pressures that they are under?  Without being too judgmental, when do I step in and when do I pull back?  How do I meet them where they are and guide them in the direction that seems to be right without them rebelling?  Do I allow them to make mistakes and then hope that they learn from the consequences, or am I to be transparent by exposing my mistakes to them and pray that they walk away not wanting to engage and indulge in certain things that could be disastrous to them?  Am I wrong for wanting the best for them? Or do I allow life to hit them (as it surely will) and allow them to gain wisdom and insight from their valley experiences?

1 comment:

The Project Maven said...

These are all great questions and ones that all parents deal with on a daily basis. I would have to say that, after raising three girls, that you have to pick your battles. I also think that if you continue to present yourself as a strong example and someone to strive to be like that will also give them guidance without actually saying anything. Everyone makes mistakes in their lives and sometimes they make them no matter how involved you may be in their lives. I am sure there were people in your life that said some similar things to try and get you to not do dumb things, but you did them anyway. We all did. Everyone rebels, but I say go with your gut...it is usually God telling you the right thing to do and don't overthink it too much. If you feel that there is something going on that could potentially be a life changer for one of your cousins and you never said anything because you were too worried about being judgmental or overstepping your bounds and something bad does happen...you will live with that regret for the rest of your life. Have honest conversations up front and you will make a difference in their lives. I know that our words may not make an impact today, but over time they will and you will be glad that you took the time to show you cared.