17 August 2009

Sermon notes (8-16-09)

No matter how late one stays out the night before, it is a ritual in most black families to be in someone's worship service on Sunday mornings. For the past seven consecutive Sundays, I have been a regular visitor at St John Baptist Church in Grand Prairie, Texas. Dr. Denny Davis is a phenomenal speaker who provides practical and relevant sermon subjects. Yesterday, he preached a sermon titled "Don't become disqualified". Thank goodness for the G1 telephone. I'm able to take notes during the sermon, and I'd like to share the message that he preached during the 11 o'clock service. Enjoy!

1 Cor. 9:16-27
Don't become disqualified
-Professional, college and even high school athletes who’ve used performance enhancement drugs have had their titles and victories stripped of them b/c they disqualified themselves
-We can spend a lifetime preparing for our moment in the spotlight while destroying that moment in the end
-Don't take any moment of glory for granted
-People have blown great opportunities and chances - unfortunately forfeiting life's achievement due to a mindless act
-Life can be compared to a sporting event
-Be mindful of the things that can disqualify me
-One thoughtless moment can cause me everything – even after developing skills, talents & abilities
-Don’t live life “in the moment” forgetting the investments and sacrifices incurred along the way to succees

Tips to surviving temptations & finishing strong:

1. Take some time to develop convictions
-Something should sustain, keep and restrain me
-I must develop the right principles (v17)
-I have been given a trust and I need to know how to handle my options
-Life doesn't owe me anything… not a sense of entitlement; there are others more deserving.
-God expects me to operate on his behalf
-He’s entrusting me to be a witness 24/7
-Privileges that are given is because God trusts me & the picture is bigger than me
-Always be a drum major for truth by demonstrating the right priorities (Galatians 6)
-Display right practices
-My goal should be to do whatever it takes to win one for Christ – as Paul mentions
-Live in such a way that I inspire someone else to come to Christ
-My life should not be about me but should be about other people.
-There is someone watching my footsteps. Am I living in such a way that someone would want to follow my footsteps? (1979 blizzard… son follow footsteps of dad home)

2. Take time to develop character (v23)
-Never assume that I'm going to grow old
-Don't live life with regrets
-Life is important, individual, and intense
-Give life and God my best… don’t miss any opportunities by worrying about who’s running against me
-The race is not given to the swift or strong but to the one that endures to the end
-Life is intense (v25)
-Great opportunities have been afforded to some, but not everyone can the handle spotlight because they lack integrity

3. Take time to develop consistency
-Life requires development
-Strive to be intentional in everything that I do.
-Do not go through life aiming without a target

No comments: