28 January 2009

72,300 (and growing) *knockout*

If you have been following the weather, you will know that there is a little ice on the roadways here in Texas and a lot worse up north. Well, yesterday morning, I woke up around 7:15 and turned on the television to see if our university was closed for work. Expecting to get back in the bed, I went to our universities’ webpage and sure enough – nothing was cancelled. My immediate reaction was “Damn, every other school is out.” Then, I was quickly reminded of a headline that I watched on CNN the day prior that read “72,300 lost jobs in 1 day”. Then yesterday, I read that another 8,000 jobs were cut. Hundreds of thousands of people have no source of income. These thoughts alone forced me to quit the complaining and get ready for work. I even messed up trimming my mustache.

The situation of people losing their jobs is turning from a recession to a depression. Businesses from Texas Instrument, Target, Home Depot to Microsoft… just to name a cutting back as consumer confidence is slashed. The economy is failing at a fast pace, there’s a mortgage crisis, from Wall Street to Main Street… this is bad, y’all. Now, I’m listening to reporters say that the situations are going to become bleaker before the healing starts. There are already millions of workers without employment. This will create an uphill challenge for them to find work. I’m not an economist, but no source of income equates to less money being spent to stimulate the economy – which further increases the number of companies forced to lay people off and more homes foreclosed.

Let’s be prayerful for those who are just graduating college seeking employment and those who were laid off.

*knockout*

No comments: